Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Q & A on New Top-Level Domains for DNS,

Q: I thought the elaborated domain name set (most significant segment list) shown in Figure 26.1 (p. 367) of the 2nd ed. had not received final approval and therefore was not (yet) in use. Did I miss a post on this and am I mistaken? Please advise as to the status of this.

A: Well... I made a bad call on this one. While I was revising the text last Spring, the new list was being considered. I each a tutorial with Paul Mockapetris (the guy who invented DNS), and he thought adoption had high probability. So, I gambled that it would be in place by now.

But... as far as I can tell, there's been no formal action yet. Furthermore, with the untimely death of Jon Postel, many things are changing, including the imminent creation of the Domain Name Service Organization.

I'll add this item to the errata.

No comments:

Archives